What a day!

Phew!  What a day!

Before I get started with my day, let me first announce the winner of the Sweatyband headband!  I was so happy to have so many entries for this particular giveaway!  It was a popular one and wish I had more to give away!  Random.org chose Kim from Hungry Healthy Girl as the lucky winner!  Congrats girl!  Send me your information and I’ll get your headband out to you 🙂

I’ve still got that giveaway going on for some hot pink shoe laces!  I’ll be choosing 3 lucky winners tomorrow evening so make sure to head on over to this post and comment at the bottom.

Okay, now on to my race re-cap.  You can read the details about why I was running the race here.   For now I’ll fill you in on my morning run.  Okay, I’ll be honest.  It didn’t start out all that great being that the weather was much colder than I’m used to running in.  Luckily I made a last minute decision to put on longer running pants and found my ear warmer/headband as we were running out the door.

We arrived about 20 minutes until my start time.  We walked around a bit warming up and enjoying watching the pink dance mob.

I made sure to grab a bib to wear in honor of the breast cancer survivors I know.

Then I made my way to the start line.

I like to be in front at the start of the race because it always sets my pace much better than if I’m in the middle or the back.  Plus, I’m not a huge fan of running in crowds.

I started out pretty good but soon realized that I couldn’t feel my toes and my lungs were burning because it was so cold!  Wish I would have had a chance to do a few cold weather practice runs.  Oh well.  The 10k route was on trails with slight rolling hills and pleasant fall scenery.  It was an out and back race which was actually a pleasant surprise.   I didn’t go into the race with any goals set in place but once I started and noticed that I was doing okay, I set a goal to try to finish in under 50 minutes and in the top 10 women finishers.  My final time was 48 minutes and I finished 24th out of 308 people, 13th in the women’s division and 5th in my age group.  Not too bad!

My lungs were screaming at me afterwards since they aren’t that used to the cold.   So we cruised around then ran into Whole Foods to grab some coconut water and cooking pumpkins.  We talked about going to brunch but I just wanted to take a nice warm shower and eat a protein smoothie 🙂

For some reason, I had an energy burst after my shower and decided to make pumpkin puree and homemade applesauce.

Luckily the hubby was willing to help me prep the apples and cut the pumpkins.  Those little suckers are hard to cut through!

Everything else with the pumpkin puree was so easy!  After they were cut in half,

we scooped out the seeds, rinsed them, then placed them face down onto a baking sheet.  I popped them in the oven to cook for about 45 minutes.  While they were cooking, I rinsed the pumpkin seeds to roast as well.  The easiest way that I’ve found is to fill a bowl with water then scoop out the seeds.  The seeds separate from the pulp a little more making them easier to clean.  Then I rinsed them in a strainer and placed them into a small bowl.  I filled the bowl with about 2 cups of hot water that had 1 tbsp of sea salt mixed in.  I let them soak the entire time the pumpkins were cooking away.

Once the pumpkins were done,

I lowered the temperature to 300 degrees.  Then I drained the seeds then dumped them onto a baking sheet.  I sprinkled on a tsp of cumin, a tsp of chili powder and a little more sea salt and pepper. I baked them in the oven for 50 minutes stirring a few times throughout.

While the pumpkin seeds were roasting I worked on my applesauce.

I used this recipe but added cinnamon to the apples as I pureed them.  Holy cow bringing it back to a boil was dangerous!  It pops out of the pot as it boils and burns pretty badly when it lands on your hand!  Ouch!

This recipe ended up making 5 1 quart jars of yummy cinnamon applesauce.

It was so good I ate as I went along sampling by the spoonful!  Yum!

I know the Love Nugget is going to gobble this stuff up!

By the time I finished the applesauce the pumpkin seeds were done roasting.  They turned out to be pretty tasty as well!

I know, I should have gone and rested at that point but I wanted to get started on something similar to this recipe for dinner tonight. I followed the recipe pretty closely but only used 1 cup of my homemade pumpkin puree, changed the spices a bit, and added 3 cups of cubed butternut squash.  It’s simmering away right now in the crock pot and smells so good!  Can’t wait to eat it tonight for dinner!

I did take a little break after I had dinner in the crock pot,

but then these happened.

Pumpkin chocolate chip cookies.  The hubby was so happy because they had real sugar.  That’s right folks, real sugar.  I made them to send to a good friend who recently moved to Seattle.  It’s her 30th birthday tomorrow and she loves pumpkin cookies 🙂  However, the hubby has already eaten three of them!  I think I better hide them before they are all gone!


4 comments on “What a day!

  1. Great race! All the pumpkin and apple stuff looks delicious. I want an apple peeler like that!

  2. I love that your husband was excited that you used real sugar in your cookies! it made me laugh! My husband gets the same way when I use “real stuff,” as he calls it, i.e. sugar and white flour!

  3. Great race girl! I’d pick running in warmer weather than cold any day! I hate the way they make my feet hurt, as if someone is poking me w/ needles!

    What a relaxing, yet fun day! Those pumpkin cookies sound delicious 🙂

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: