Yesterday was the first day in a while that we were home all day. Well, with the exception of me going to the gym in the morning to get a run in and spin with my favorite instructor. Oh how I missed her!
For me, there are some pros and cons about being home all day.
- I get a lot of cleaning done, especially when the weather is nice. It motivates me.
- I drink a TON of water.
- The love nugget gets some good naps in.
- I can catch up on emails and other online tasks.
- I snack more.
- I tend to get cabin fever, I think the love nugget does too.
The pros definitely out way the cons but it depends on the day. If I hadn’t had a lot of cleaning to do, we might have been really bored!
Due to the fact that I tend to snack more often when I’m home or bored, I make sure to only keep healthy snack options in our house. Here are a few options that we usually have on hand.
- Fresh, cut up veggies. Some of my favorites are cucumbers, carrots, celery, daikon radish, and blanched asparagus
- Homemade or store bought hummus to go with the veggies
- Raw, unsalted nuts. My favorite is raw frozen almonds. To make sure I don’t eat too many I measure out 1/4 cup and put them in a zip lock bag for quick snacks. I also keep raw walnuts, cashews, and macadamia nuts on hand so when I want a quick trail mix I just mix them with some cranberries and dark chocolate chips.
- Fresh fruit
- Frozen grapes. This is a good after dinner sweet treat too!
- Dried cranberries. I add these to my frozen almonds
- Peanut butter bites
- Homemade granola bars
- Protein powder
- Dark chocolate bar or dark chocolate chips
What healthy snacks do you like to keep on hand?
When I was breastfeeding I bought a HUGE water jug that I helped me to keep up on my fluid intake. I think it holds 60 ounces or close to it. When I’m home, I often fill it up and make it a goal to drink at least one a day. When I get bored with plain water, I add in some sliced lemons or oranges to give it a little flavor. I’m not a soda drinker, but I do like sparkling water. Instead of buying flavored sparkling water, I take soda water and pour it over ice. Add a little unsweetened cranberry juice and a splash of orange juice. It’s a refreshing, low-calorie, low sugar, yummy beverage!
Since I was home all day yesterday, I had a little time to get together a fun activity for the hubby and I that I found on The Dating Diva’s blog. A few years ago, we went on a cruise and one night they had a Newly Wed game that they hubby and I were a part of and won! We both had fun and when I saw this idea, I thought it would be fun to do. So I prepped it and after dinner we turned off the TV and enjoyed some game time.
I printed it out on card stock, cut and numbered the cards from 1-10 without reading the blue ones. No cheating :-)
Then the hubby got the blue, I got the pink and we went through and wrote our answers for each question.
When we were done, we took turns reading a card and allowed the other to give their answer. If it matched what we had written down, we got 1 point.
Funny, we each scored 7 points!
All in all it was fun and a good way to spend the evening rather than watching TV or sitting on our computers :-)